It has mixture of one-off episodes and long-running sequence, which makes it straightforward to seek out one thing acceptable for your kid’s consideration span. Our children are large followers of the folktales and a few of the longer story sequence.
If you are listening on an Apple system and can afford the $5 a month subscription payment (which does get you entry to another podcasts as properly), then Stories Podcast is an efficient possibility. If you are not an Apple person, I counsel skipping this one in favor of a few of the different picks under.
Purple Rocket Podcast
Like Stories Podcast, Purple Rocket Podcast has a mixture of content material with fairly a number of long-running sequence, together with “Grandpa’s Globe,” which is about twins Sawyer and Suzie, who use their grandfather’s magical globe to discover the universe. Other adventures contain every little thing from aliens to fairies. Mixed in with the sequence are occasional one-offs, a few of which handle to impart little classes for your children. For instance, “My Homework Ate Me” is a cautionary story of procrastination.
All the episodes I’ve listened to function an elaborate array of voices, ambient sounds, and music to assist convey the tales to life. These are very a lot within the spirit of previous radio performs like The Shadow.
The mixture of content material makes for a podcast that ought to fulfill even the pickiest of listeners. New episodes arrive each different week. There are additionally transcripts out there so your children can learn alongside whereas listening to enhance literacy.
The Greeking Out podcast from National Geographic Kids retells traditional Greek myths in kid-friendly type. Recently there have been a few forays into different mythic tales, like Loki from Norse mythology, however it’s primarily Greek. This rapidly turned a favourite in our family, although my children had been often not glad that the variations instructed right here didn’t exactly match the variations they knew (from, amongst different issues, D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths (Amazon, $21)), however I like that it obtained them eager about how tales change and why there could be completely different variations.
If your youngsters are into mythological tales, otherwise you wish to get them into mythology, this one is extremely advisable.
Who, When, Wow!
The Who, When, Wow! podcast from Tinkercast is a history-focused podcast with an emphasis on much less well-known figures whose tales will (hopefully) make your youngsters say “wow!”
My colleague Adrienne So clued me in to this one, and my children have actually loved it over the previous few months. It’s mixture of biographies, with every little thing from much less well-known scientists like Caroline Hershel to sports activities greats like Roberto Clemente to Harry Houdini. The combine is eclectic sufficient that there is one thing for everybody.
Here’s one other inventive story podcast that focuses on folktales from world wide. Episodes of Circle Round vary from 10 to twenty minutes every. Lately Circle Round has been selling another podcast episodes in its feed, so that you may discover an episode of Brains On (listed under) or different children’ podcasts alongside its personal creations.
Circle Round is a little more overt in its value-teaching than a few of the others on this listing. It routinely delivers some type of message, one thing about kindness, generosity, or different shared American cultural values. Teaching morality is without doubt one of the important functions of folktales, however right here I discover it a bit heavy-handed at instances.
It has pirates within the identify, which is all my children wanted to listen to. Story Pirates is an entertaining mixture of tales and enjoyable songs (like “The Bear That Couldn’t Disco“). There are some particular visitor voices you may acknowledge in some episodes too, like Claire Danes and John Oliver.
There’s much more right here than simply the podcast. If your children wish to transcend listening, try the website, which has hyperlinks to the ebook sequence (for middle-grade children), info on stay reveals, and pirate T-shirts.
Story Seeds is a comparatively new podcast, and it is a bit completely different from the others; somewhat than a narrative, it is a meta view of the way to create a narrative.
Each episode pairs a child (age 6-12) with a youngsters’s ebook creator. They meet up in particular person and collaborate to jot down unique tales that begin out with the child’s thought (the “seed” within the identify). It’s not up to date as incessantly as a few of the remainder of these, however there’s over two dozen episodes out there.
This Australian podcast is dedicated to showcasing true tales of Australian ladies. From athletes to spies, Fierce Girls typically promotes a unifying theme of adventurous women with “guts and spirit.” While the tales are all acceptable for children and not graphic, the hosts do not shrink back from telling tales as they occur. In some circumstances, you may wish to hear first to verify a narrative is acceptable for your youngsters’s maturity stage. That mentioned, our 9-year-old twins love them.
Offering a mixture of traditional tales, like these of Beatrix Potter, and lesser-known content material, Planet Storytime goals for that blend of leisure and schooling Fred Rogers perfected. It releases new episodes each Thursday.
One very nice function that units this podcast aside is that on the finish of every month, there’s one lengthy episode with a complete month’s value of content material—good for getting an hour or so to your self.
This science podcast is geared toward children, although I’ll be sincere, I’ve discovered lots from it as properly. Brains On is academic—simply do not inform your children that. They’ll love studying how bugs stroll on partitions, the way to discover their approach with no compass, and even the place poo and pee go if you flush the bathroom.
There’s a sequence referred to as “Smash Boom Best” wherein two issues are pitted towards one another and your child can choose their favourite. For instance, Loki was recently pitted against Athena. This podcast might be greatest suited for barely older children.
Warrior Kid Podcast
The Warrior Kid Podcast just isn’t for everybody, however my children actually just like the question-and-answer format of this podcast, which is predicated on the books of the identical identify. The creator of the books and host of the present is Jocko Willink, a adorned, retired Navy SEAL officer and management guru. Here Willink stands in for the character of Uncle Jake in Willink’s Warrior Kid ebook sequence, answering children’ questions on every little thing from the way to keep away from consuming sweet to what it takes to be a Navy Seal.
Willink locations a worthwhile emphasis on bodily exercise, psychological sharpness, weight loss plan (encouraging children to develop wholesome consuming habits), and onerous work. The latter kinds the core of the message on this podcast: Work onerous, prepare in jiujitsu, and you’ll finally succeed. This one is concentrating on barely older children, most likely greatest for ages 8 and up. One particular be aware: Willink has one other podcast, Jocko Podcast, that’s most undoubtedly not for youngsters.
Another NPR podcast, But Why goals to reply child questions on every little thing from nature, politics, tradition, science, even the tip of the world. Your children can submit their very own questions too; directions are on the website.
Because But Why covers a variety of matters, I have a tendency to assist out extra with it. Many episodes are greatest suited to barely older children. My children (7 and 5) weren’t about to sit down via an episode on what occurs when a president is impeached, for instance, however they did get pleasure from an episode on how we style meals.
One of the few podcasts on this listing that was created by a child, Aaron’s World is a 50-episode audio-drama following the adventures of a boy (Aaron) and his trusty laptop sidekick (INO) exploring the prehistoric world of dinosaurs. The episodes give attention to single matters—e.g., iguanodon, microraptor, sharks—however over the five-year run, some enjoyable bigger story arcs emerged that create a operating plot. All got here from the thoughts of initially 6-year-old Aaron, who saved at it for 5 years. Highly advisable for any child who’s concerned with dinosaurs.
Other Great Podcasts and Audio Shows
These days the web is awash in podcasts, with far too many to say intimately right here. That mentioned, listed here are some others your children could like.
- Saturday Morning Cereal Bowl: Long earlier than our youngsters obtained into storytelling podcasts, they cherished this weekly two-hour music present launched each, ahem, Saturday. And I do know what you are pondering: children’ music. But it is actually not children’ music, it is simply music children will get pleasure from. This can also be an effective way to find music your children love that will not drive you loopy. Did you recognize Walkmen co-songwriter Walter Martin has a fantastic album for children? How about The Verve Pipe? Johnny Cash? All these and extra I’ve found via Saturday Morning Cereal Bowl.
- Earth Rangers: This podcast has a biology slant however makes hear for any children concerned with digging within the dust, studying about animals, or listening to tales of the ecosystems in far-off lands. There are episodes on the jungle, the Arctic, and almost every little thing between. Episodes are typically about quarter-hour every and often sort out a single animal or surroundings. Earth Ranger might be greatest suited to children who’re a bit extra mature.
- Molly of Denali: This eight-episode podcast units the backstory for the PBS cartoon of the identical identify. Each episode is about 10 minutes lengthy, and they’re sequential, telling the backstory of Molly Mabray, an Alaska native rising up together with her dad and mom, household, and associates in Alaska.
- Eleanor Amplified: This long-running journey sequence options an intrepid reporter named Eleanor Amplified. She focuses on foiling the devious plots of villains. It’s a bit pro-journalist at instances, in a rah-rah type of approach that is not for everybody, however the tales are fast-paced, entertaining, and within the spirit of old-time radio reveals.
- Live From Mount Olympus: My children had been working their approach via the Percy Jackson ebook sequence when this arrived, so this Olympian-focused podcast was an prompt hit. It follows the adventures of a younger Perseus, who’s on a quest to save lots of his mom from an evil king. Live From Mount Olympus principally sticks to the Greek tales as you might keep in mind them, although there are some extra characters. Live From Mount Olympus is a part of the Trax community, which hosts different children podcasts as properly.
More Great WIRED Stories